Associate Attorney, Constitutional Litigation Partnership
The American First Policy Institute (AFPI) is seeking an innovative litigator with preferred experience in election law for the Constitutional Litigation Partnership (CLP). Prior litigation experience is preferred. The qualified applicant should possess a deep respect of American liberty and freedom and an eagerness to challenge precedent and convention within the legal sphere in the defense of both.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
This candidate will work within CLP to pursue and execute litigation that will fight to preserve and defend American’s constitutional rights. They will be an active participant in complex litigation and litigation strategies, including the discovery process, briefs, trials, appellate work, and writing amicus briefs.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Clearly champion AFPI’s servant leadership culture with a leadership style that supports others, promotes a positive team culture and encourages growth and success.
- Undertake complex litigation and advocacy without substantial oversight by senior attorneys.
- Develop a strategic plan for litigation opportunities and drive coordination with internal and external stakeholders to advance litigation.
- Research and draft pleadings, briefs, and legal memoranda.
- Engage in discovery, motion practice, evidentiary hearings, and oral arguments in the trial and appellate courts.
- Consult with AFPI Communications to ensure alignment with AFPI priorities.
- Work to build strategic and effective relationships with identified local counsel.
- Identify key stakeholders and coordinate with AFPI leadership, including engagement and development teams, to ensure targeted, effective outreach and collaboration on key policy priorities to maximize impact; work with the communications team to amplify key messages.
- Support other CLP litigation efforts.
- A self-starter. The Attorney must be willing and able to conceive and develop innovative ideas independently and often and bring them to fruition.
- An excellent writer. This Attorney must possess the aptitude for graceful prose that conveys complicated concepts convincingly and lead and coordinate editing processes.
- A strategic thinker. The Attorney must be a strategic legal thinker, with a Juris Doctorate, able to grasp constitutional law sufficient for handling complex litigation matters and authoring amicus briefs that advance the strategic vision of the AFPI.
- An advocate. The Attorney must bring to a table litigation experience in trial and appellate courts, administrative law, policymaking, legislation, and/or media, and a proven record of accomplishment.
- A leader. The Attorney must be willing to work with tact and persuasion to assist in assembling a coalition of activists, thinkers, and citizens in several states to challenge Washington, D.C., overreach on several fronts.
- A researcher. The Attorney must be able to lead research and apply rigorous research and analysis to demonstrate the merits of alternative approaches to litigation.
- Admitted to the Bar of the United States. Applicants must be licensed to practice law in at least one state in the United States, with 2-5 years of litigation experience.
- A servant leader. The candidate must be able to work collaboratively and have flexibility, prepared to multitask in a fast-paced environment; they must be passionate about AFPI and CLP’s mission, and have a demonstrated commitment to a servant leadership culture; the ability to maintain productive, collaborative, and collegial relationships with staff and external stakeholders, and uphold the public reputation of the Institute.
Salaries for positions will be commensurate with the experience, expertise, and skills of the individual. Please send a cover letter, resume, salary requirement, writing samples, and references.
AFPI is a non-profit, non-partisan research institute offering competitive salaries and benefits to qualified candidates.