Director, Center for the American Worker
The Director for the Center for the American Worker (“Center”) will work with the president/CEO, Executive Director, COO, Center Chair, other leaders of the Institute, and policy leaders to develop the Institute’s strategic vision and operational plans and manage the execution of those plans within the Center under the direction of the president/CEO, Executive Director, COO and Center Chair. This includes oversight of the development and quality production of the Center’s research and content deliverables and working with the Center Chair to develop the policy vision for that Center’s issue area.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Clearly champion AFPI’s servant leadership culture.
- Oversee strategic development of all Center research and policy goals, planning, and related work in coordination with the Center Chair.
- Develop a Center research agenda with Research Director that anticipates future legislative and regulatory action, news coverage, and economic events; establish appropriate timelines and lines of effort; and build AFPI’s research profile among counterparts at other research institutes and policy stakeholders.
- Oversee the production and quality control of all Center research output, including planning, scheduling, and editing. Ensure that research and related output reflect the principles of AFPI and, with the assistance and guidance of the Research Director, uphold rigorous standards of research and analysis. Potential output may include but is not limited to white papers/research papers, blog posts for the AFPI website, and op-eds for major media sources. Work products must be of a high quality and relevance.
- Identify external scholars and subject matter experts to contribute to specific research priorities on a contractual basis and/or as a Senior Fellow, in coordination with the CEO, COO, and Research Director.
- Work under the direction of the COO to manage the day-to-day operations of the Center team, including supervising policy analysts, coordinating with the Center Chair, creating job descriptions, directing work assignments, providing training, monitoring progress, giving performance reviews.
- Collaborate with other centers where relevant, identifying potential areas for input in the Center’s work and serving as a resource on the Center’s areas of expertise for other centers.
- Consult with AFPI leadership and Communications to align Center activities with AFPI priorities.
- Explore and, in consultation with the Center Chair, propose new initiatives and programs to broaden the reach of the Center’s content.
- Participate actively in the peer-review process, editing papers and providing helpful feedback for colleagues to ensure consistent, quality work products; take ownership of shepherding work through the process in collaborative manner.
- Identify key stakeholders and coordinate with AFPI leadership, including engagement and development teams, to ensure targeted, effective outreach and collaboration on key policy priorities to maximize impact; work with the communications team to amplify key messages.
- Effectively collaborate with various stakeholders, including those on Capitol Hill, in the executive branch, and in state/local/tribal government leadership as appropriate, and other experts.
- Effectively advocate for AFPI’s principles and recommendations in public settings, and in coordination with Communications, in the media.
- Leadership style that supports others, promotes a positive team culture, and encourages the growth and success of the Center’s staff. Demonstrated servant leader.
- Completion of an educational level that, in conjunction with relevant job experience, demonstrates a level of competence in the areas necessary to fulfill the responsibilities and duties of the position. Advanced degree or equivalent training and experience requirements vary depending on the Center’s focus area, but a minimum of a master’s degree or equivalent is expected, unless unique circumstances warrant.
- A significant level of relevant legislative and policy experience in the Center’s focus area with a consistently high level of performance, including knowledge of Federal and state legislative and regulatory issues and processes.
- Demonstrated support of free market principles that support American citizens and American rights and liberties and a willingness to combine these with personal integrity in the making of all Center and Institute decisions.
- Excellent managerial ability, including the ability to organize and manage the day-to-day activities of the Center team and coordinate effectively with the Policy and Research teams.
- An entrepreneurial mindset that seeks out new opportunities to grow and advance the mission of AFPI and the Center.
- Excellent writing, research, editing, and public testimony skills.
- A willingness to extend beyond conventional thinking within the Center’s focus area, and to apply rigorous research and analysis to demonstrate the merits of alternative approaches.
- Ability to comprehend/analyze complex legislative and regulatory issues, develop detailed, practical, free-market recommendations, provide quality research, and assist staff in doing the same.
- Demonstrated ability to make research recommendations become public policy at the Federal, State, and local level.
- The ability to maintain productive, collaborative, and collegial relationships with staff and external stakeholders and uphold the public reputation of the Institute.
The position’s salary will be commensurate with the experience, expertise, and skills of the candidate who accepts the position. Please apply with a cover letter, resume, salary requirement, and references.
AFPI is a non-profit, non-partisan research institute offering competitive salaries and benefits to qualified candidates.