Director of Finance and Personnel
The American First Policy Institute (AFPI) is seeking a Director of Finance and Personnel with professional experience in financial management and governance. The qualified applicant will have a deep respect of American liberty and a passion for the AFPI’s mission. They will have both a day-to-day impact on AFPI’s finance and personnel operations, helping us to grow our financial position, optimize our human resources, and work with the Chief Operating Officer to mitigate organizational risks. Demonstrated direct responsibility for corporate financial management, investment and budgeting is necessary, and experience with taxation for nonprofits is preferred. This individual will manage finances, ensure on-time bill payment, lead vendor and contractor management, execute financial reporting, implement protocols, facilitate the hiring and training of new employees, drive ongoing personnel training programs, and help oversee personnel benefits.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Under the supervision of the CEO, Executive Director (ED), and Chief Operating Officer (COO), the Director of Finance and Personnel will be responsible for the full range of financial and human resource functions including managing supporting accountants, fund accounting principles, financial statements, budgets, grant coordination with the Development Team, financial and tax audits, banking, investments and borrowing, contract and billing financial issues, development of financial policies and procedures, and personnel management. The Director will oversee a multifaceted portfolio of financial action. They will oversee personnel benefits and risk management in coordination with the COO.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Clearly champion AFPI’s servant leadership culture with a leadership style that supports others, promotes a positive team culture, and encourages growth and success.
- Manage supporting external accountants and vendors.
- Responsible for day to day cash management, investments, insurance, budgeting, and financial reporting, helping to develop and drive the AFPI’s financial strategy, risk reduction, and hiring needs.
- Plan, implement, and manage the institute’s finances with a forward-thinking mindset.
- Identify opportunities to optimize financial action and drive coordination with internal and external stakeholders to advance these plans.
- Research industry trends, analyze internal operations, identify areas of cost reduction and process enhancement.
- Monitor performance with tracking, establish corrective measures as needed, and prepare detailed financial and personnel reports.
- Work with AFPI senior leadership and Development to align financial actions with AFPI priorities and develop effective proposals, provide access to project finance information, and manage, and support the Director for Institutional Giving with contract/grant compliance and reporting.
- Coordinate with the Chief Operating Officer and other relevant AFPI team members on best pcractices for financial management and new ways to improve overall financial performance.
- Work with external accountants to omply with federal, state, and local financial requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing compliance, and taking action.
- Develop employee job classifications, position descriptions, career pathways, compensation, and benefits for new positions, implement evaluation policies and lead innovative workforce planning initiatives.
- Devise and execute AFPI’s continual talent development training programs.
- A self-starter. The Director of Finance and Personnel must be willing and able to conceive and develop innovative ideas independently and often and bring them to fruition—anticipating information needed by leadership.
- A strategic thinker. The Director of Finance and Personnel must be a strategic thinker, with a degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or a related field, or significant demonstrated experience in lieu of degree, and able to manage a multi-million-dollar budget.
- An excellent communicator. The Director of Finance and Personnel must possess an aptitude for tactful oral and written communication that concisely presents topline financial information and complicated concepts understandably.
- A leader. The Director of Finance and Personnel must be willing to work with tact and persuasion to pursue critical financial strategies and drive high performance management. The individual will be able to lead through effective persuasion and collaboration with AFPI personnel.
- A servant leader. The candidate must be able to work collaboratively and have flexibility, prepared to multitask in a fast-paced environment; they must be passionate about AFPI’s mission, and have a demonstrated commitment to a servant leadership culture; the ability to maintain productive, collaborative, and collegial relationships with staff and external stakeholders, and uphold the public reputation of AFPI.
- A skilled worker: Superior computer skills and knowledge including word processing, database operations, spreadsheets, financial management systems, personnel management, and other software systems. Approximately 5 years of relevant experience preferred.
Salaries for positions will be commensurate with the experience, expertise, and skills of the individual. Please send a cover letter, resume, salary requirement, writing samples, and references. Note, this position may start as a part-time position, but we will also entertain full-time applicants.
AFPI is a non-profit, non-partisan research institute offering competitive salaries and benefits to qualified candidates.