Policy Analyst, Center for a Healthy America
The Center for a Healthy America (CHA) Policy Analyst will work with the Center Director, the Center Chair, and Senior Management of AFPI to advance the Institute’s strategic vision and to contribute to the policy priorities of the Center.
Policy Analyst Responsibilities and Duties:
- Champion AFPI’s servant leadership culture and nurture an environment of continual learning and improvement.
- Research, write, and edit a wide variety of documents in relation to the Center for a Healthy America. Potential products may include but are not limited to research reports, issue briefs, expert insights, and op-eds for major media sources. Ensure that all research and related output reflect the principles of AFPI and adhere to highest standards of research integrity.
- Organize policy-related meetings and events and help manage coalitions.
- Identify timely and relevant issues in your policy portfolio and coordinate with the Center Director and Chair as well as the Research Director regarding research plans.
- Collaborate with other centers where relevant, identifying potential areas for input in your own work and serving as a resource on your areas of expertise for other Centers.
- Participate actively in the peer-review and fact-check processes, editing papers and providing helpful feedback for your colleagues to ensure consistent, quality work products; take ownership of shepherding work through the process in collaborative and proactive manner.
- Identify key stakeholders and coordinate with AFPI leadership to ensure targeted, effective outreach on key policy priorities to maximize impact; work with the communications team to amplify key messages.
- Track policies and legislation of interest as relevant to assigned Center(s) at the local, state, and federal level. Highlight areas where AFPI has the highest potential for impact and help create appropriate plans for AFPI involvement.
- Effectively advocate for AFPI’s principles and recommendations in public settings.
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree or a combination of commensurate experiences is a minimum requirement. A graduate degree in political science, public health, public policy, government, or a related degree, is strongly preferred. Additional professional experience(s) in federal or state government and/or in research roles is also preferred.
- Demonstrated familiarity with research on a policy issue and experience in designing and implementing legislation and/or policy recommendations with measurable results.
- Demonstrated support of free market principles and American liberties and a willingness to combine these with personal integrity in the making of all Center and Institute decisions.
- Strong research and analytical skills that demonstrate critical thinking and command of data/research material relevant to the Center’s specified policy area.
- Strong communication skills and clear, organized writing. Previous experience authoring or drafting policy memos is strongly preferred.
- The ability to comprehend and analyze complex legislative and regulatory issues, develop detailed free-market recommendations, provide quality research, and assist staff in doing the same.
- It is preferred, but not expressly required, that candidates have demonstrated public speaking experience or previous experience presenting policy ideas to partners, stakeholders, or lawmakers.
- The ability to pursue several multi-stage projects concurrently while meeting deadlines.
- The ability to maintain productive and collegial relationships with staff and uphold the public reputation of the Institute.
- The ability to build and maintain productive and collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
The position’s salary will be commensurate with the experience, expertise, and skills of the candidate who accepts the position. Please apply with a cover letter, resume, salary requirement, and references.
AFPI is a non-profit, non-partisan research institute offering competitive salaries and benefits to qualified candidates.