October 26, 2022
Center for 1776
Know Before You Go: Peoria School Board Elections
October 26, 2022
- Core Responsibilities of a School Board: Approve curriculum and textbooks based on standards, goals, and policies adopted by the board
- Core Responsibilities of a School Board: Review and evaluate curriculum as it relates to student assessment results.
- Core Responsibilities of a School Board: Hold accountable the superintendent of the school district.
Too many of our schools, with the backing of elected school boards, are working to purposely divide children by teaching them Critical Race Theory (CRT) concepts, like believing that the color of their skin is more important than the content of their character, and sexualizing them by presenting age-inappropriate sexual content.
Your local school board has the power to reverse these attacks and make sure our children have age-appropriate education materials. The power lies in your vote! Elections take place on November 8, 2022.
Core Responsibilities of a School Board:
- Approve curriculum and textbooks based on standards, goals, and policies adopted by the board.
- Review and evaluate curriculum as it relates to student assessment results.
- Hold accountable the superintendent of the school district.
- Create a responsible budget to advance the educational success of the students.
- Provide transparency to parents and community members on what is occurring in their local schools.
Concerning Content and Actions Allowed in the Peoria Unified School District by the Governing Board:
Below are examples of CRT, sexual material, and/or political indoctrination seen in the schools.
- Multiple high schools in the district have a Gender and Sexuality Alliances club, which is a chapter of the Gay, Lesbian, & Straight Education Network. These clubs end up teaching students sexual content without the students needing approval from their parents. It’s a “loophole” to sexualize children without parents knowing.
- The Board voted to approve a course titled American Studies. Part of the background of the curriculum states, “Students will explore the experiences and perspectives of a diverse array of American groups and study concepts like identity, race, ethnicity, nationality, sexuality and culture…Students explore their own identity…”
- This class will perpetuate CRT principles by teaching that social identities like race and sexuality override the American Dream.
- The Board approved and funded staff to attend the School Social Work Association of America National Conference. One parent discovered that the conference aimed to teach “the use of critical race theory in equity building for marginalized youth of color.”
- These types of policies are driven by elite, Washington D.C.-based national unions and associations who are out of touch with Arizona values. Instead, they push an agenda that denies parent rights, supports restrictive COVID-19 mandates, instigates racist curriculum and transgender policies, and even labels parents domestic terrorists.
Know Before You Go! These school board races are non-partisan elections, and voters also have the opportunity to pick two candidates instead of selecting just one. The America First Agenda aims to give parents more control of their child’s education, education choice, and honest teaching of American history. You can research candidates and what they stand for by identifying key words and phrases in their statements like “parental rights,” “patriotic education,” and “education or school choice.” Also be on the lookout for Washington D.C based union language like “institutional racism,” “social justice,” “equity,” and “gender identity.” Understanding what a candidate stands for will help you make the best decision for your children and community.
June 05, 2023
STATEMENT: Carla Sands on OPEC’s Decision to Reduce Global Oil Production and the Fragility of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve
WASHINGTON, D.C. - Today, the America First Policy Institute (AFPI) released the following statement from Carla Sands, Vice Chair of the Center for Energy & Environment at AFPI, regarding…
June 02, 2023
The Border Crisis Hits Your Community: Key Facts and Figures
May 31, 2023
ISSUE BRIEF: How the Administrative State is Being Used to Criminalize Lawful Gun Owners
Although recent victories for the Second Amendment in the United States Supreme Court, such as New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen (2022), may give many Americans the…